New Mexico Conference of Catholic Bishops
After becoming informed about the issue(s), the most important way (next to voting) that citizens can participate in government is to communicate their wishes to legislators. There are several way to express an opinion to any public official. Listed below in the order of most effective to least effective are some suggestions for persuading your legislator to consider your position.You can:
- Make a personal visit to your legislator at their home district office
or make an appointment to visit the legislator's office in the state Capitol.
- Write a personal letter (one you have composed or modified) and mail or fax it to your legislator.
- Address and sign a form letter (one that was preformatted and composed
for you by an organization or group) and mail or fax it.
- Telephone your legislator with a short message during normal
- Email a letter or message to your legislator.
For your convenience we have a composed a sample letter to use. You can use this letter as a jump off point for a personal letter to mail or fax, or to copy and paste for an email. To find your legislators along with their contact information, visit the New Mexico Legislature.
Sign up to receive the latest information from the
New Mexico Conference of Catholic Bishops and the
2011 New Mexico Legislative Session.